Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Enjoy Working Two Jobs! Insights on Managing A Business and A 9-5



Working a full-time or part-time job while running your business can be a challenge but, it's well worth it. I'm writing this post from personal experience. I've just started a freelance job doing fashion production work and if you've read my other post titled, "Notes from the Sales Floor", you'll see that occasionally, I'll work outside of my business.

I agree with designer, Lara Shandi. In her interview that I posted titled "Behind the Scenes with L~Shandi", Lara works a full-time job and runs her fashion design business. She enjoys both jobs very much and I must that I'm in the same position. I love my fashion production job and my accessories business.

Here are a few insights that I would like to share regarding working a 9-5 and running your business. Some may seem obvious but, I'm going to list them anyway.

Job Insights:
* Never use your 9-5 job's resources like paper, office phone...etc to run your business.
* Take care of your business emails and phone calls through your own mobile device on your lunch break.
* Be on time to your job. Don't stay up too late working on your business that you oversleep and arrive late to your 9-5.
* The more you push yourself to complete tasks, keep calendar dates, be a team player and simply work you 9-5 100%, the more you will learn and be able to apply to your own business. Try not to think of it as a job just for a paycheck. The experience that you gain is equally important even if your job is not related to fashion at all. Lara of L~Shandi is a HIV researcher, totally not related to fashion. But, I am sure that she has learned skills from her day job that she's able to use in her business.
* Freelancing is great because, you get to work for different clients. You can go through an agency or contract work out on your own.

Your Business Insights:
* Make sure to plan your week as now that you are working another job, you want to make sure that your business is still running and things are not getting left undone.
* Now that your week is planned make sure that your daily goals are attainable and that you are getting enough rest to work both jobs. It's better to do 2-3 tasks (small amounts) on your business daily than to trying to overdo it. You don't want to burn out.
* Can you afford to hire someone to assist you while you're working your 9-5? I did an article on the idea of having virtual assistants to assist you with your business, titled "Is Being A Do-It Yourselfer Holding You Back From Blossoming".

I think that if you want to brush up in a particular area of your business, then working for someone else in that area is a great way to learn the ropes. Just remember the insights above and you'll be fine. It's definitely a challenge but, a good one that you will learn and grow from.

Are you working a 9-5 and running your business? Please share your experiences and insights!

No comments: