Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Behind the Scenes with L~Shandi

If You're Meant to Be a Designer You Will Succeed!-The Magic Behind Success

O.k. drop whatever pre-conceived notion that you may have about becoming a fashion designer and the lifestyle that a designer lives. I have an amazing interview to share with you today about a young designer who is making strong moves all while juggling a fascinating full-time career outside of fashion.

Lara Akinsanya is the founder and designer of L~Shandi. Her company is based in the Washington, D.C. area. I spoke with Lara by phone and got the chance to learn more about her. She has a very strong work ethic and is enjoying the process of growing her business. There's no need to rush, was one of the themes that she emphasized during our interview. The great thing about fashion is that "fashion is always going to exist. If you can't create a product this year, wait until next year." Enjoy creating things that you can afford to, enjoy the process of creating and sharing your product with your customers and build trusting relationships with everyone that you do business with. This is the magic behind Lara that's made her successful.

Fashion design came as a hobby to Lara, she made her first sample in 1994. She started designing for friends, family and herself.

Lara, when was your first experience with fashion design and how old were you?


Lara: My first experience was at age 17. I started by reworking my own garments to fit my style and personality.

Did you go to fashion design school? If so, where?

Lara: No. I learned everything I know about Fashion by developing great relationships with others.

When did you know that you only wanted to be a designer?

This question is not applicable to me because, I am a public health analyst as well. I have a masters of Science degree in biochemistry.

Lara does research on HIV cases. This, my friends is her full-time job! From our phone conversation, she mentioned that she loves both fashion design and her full-time job equally.

How long have you been in business and where is your company based?

Lara: My business is four years old. I'm based in the Wasington, D.C. metro area.

Her official launch was July 2007. Here are some photos taken of her designs at her fashion show launch.




Lara is originally from Nigeria, west Africa. She shares with us the meaning of her company's name.

Lara: L~Shandi was created from a Nigerian street slang "Lepa Shandi". Lepa Shandi is the term for women whose clothing, outfit, or ensemble has a flattering and sexy fit. So if a guy sees you and says "look at her...lepa shandi or l~shandi", take it as a compliment and enjoy it.

Lara, you normally use Nigerian lace in your collections, correct? What other fabrics do you use?

Lara: I actually use African lace. The other fabrics that I primarily use are African Wax Prints, Guinea Brocade, Hoodin from Ghana and Hand Woven cotton from Nigeria.

What is the difference, if any in style, technique or color in African lace verses European lace?

Lara: The style and color are more bold and the embroidery work is much more elaborate in African lace giving it more depth in texture. This also makes it more durable.



Lara, I love how your styles are contemporary but, have a unique edge. The lace, prints and embroideries are bold but, very easy to wear. Describe your main customer. Where does she live, what is she like?

Lara: My designs appeal to women of different backgrounds, age, marital status e.t.c. My customer is a woman that likes to look different and stand out in a bold but, yet subtle way.


Did you first go into business knowing your target customer or did you fine tune and define your customer as you went along?

Lara: I went into my business knowing who my target customer was and I have been fine tuning/defining what they really want as I am going along.

Lara stated that if you have a good product, the market will tell you, if it's good or not. The market will shape your product if you listen to comments and responses. Lara takes notes of whatever problems arises and fixes them right away. She keeps an open line of communication with buyers from the boutiques she works with. Her goal is to get as much feedback as possible in order to provide a better product.

I've noticed that your designs are in stores nation wide from Florida, NYC, NJ, Washington, DC, MA, CT. How did you get buyers interested in carrying your clothing? How did you build your relationship with boutique buyers?

Lara: I participated in reputable national clothing trade shows that bring buyers and designers together. Boutique buyers are happy if you deliver quality products to them on time.

Being a fashion designer is very unique because, you have to work with a team of people on a daily basis in order to get your samples made, production delivered and market and sell your clothing. Describe a typical day for you and how do you manage to put all of the components of the business together so that you can deliver your product on time to stores.

Lara: I manage my busy schedule (both as a designer and as a public health analyst) by being super organized. I also treat everyone that I work with like a client (even those that I pay to provide a service for me) and believe that if I try to serve others to the best of my ability, they will go the extra mile for me.

While Lara works full-time, she hires freelancers to work for her.

What would you say are your top 3-5 tasks that a designer has to do on a daily basis that are non glamorous?

Lara:
*Alterations
*Shipping/labeling
*Business paperwork including inventory control, invoicing price tagging

What part of your job do you love the most?

Lara: Sketching designs/picking fabrics to go with them.

Do you welcome volunteers to help out at your shows or events and if so, how can they contact you?

Lara: Yes I love to work with volunteers and they can contact me by email.

If a store is interested in wholesale orders how should they contact you?

Lara: I have an online showroom at http://www.belesprit.net. Contact Deborah Pokalus at belesprit@ureach.com

Lara, do you have any inside tips to help budding designers?

Lara: Stay true to yourself, be consistent and build the best possible relationships with everyone you work with.

Lara's website: http://www.lshandi.com/index.htm

------

What I love about Lara is that she gets it. She gets the idea of building relationships and is enjoying the process along the way.

The main lesson that I've gained from Lara is that things don't happen overnight. What people judge as someone's success is their current reality in which they've been building, laying the foundation for years. I learned that it's a slow process in which we should enjoy, enjoy creating your future. Why rush it?

-Kali

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved the piece on L-Shandi! Well written and great advice for up and coming designers to persist at doing what they really enjoy!

Marian