Tuesday, March 25, 2008

It's Portfolio Review and Senior Project Time!- Don't Forget to Use this Tip!!!

Kali's senior line


If you're a senior in a fashion design school, you're probably tearing your hair out right about now trying to put the finishing touches on your senior project and complete your portfolio for review. Keep reading, I want to share with you a tip that I just thought of that may propel your career!

For those not associated with this world, senior year is the last time while you're a student in school that you get to show off your talents and skills. Your senior project is a collection of about 3-4 garments. At my school, Marymount University in Arlington, VA students got to come up with their own theme and design a collection based on this. The focus is to make it salable and not just advant garde. Students had to have their concept sketches approved by the teacher with fabric swatches to support your idea. Once approved then you start the drafting/pattern making process in muslin. Once the pattern is finalized then you're ready to make your garments in real fabric. The portfolio review is an extension of this. Your senior collection project is included in the portfolio along with other collections that were clearly targeted to a specific customer. We also had to show flat sketches with measurements and any textile prints or anything else that we wanted to include in our first book.

I did a men's wear line for my senior project. It was a very casual collection in linen. I wanted to stand out because, I had a feeling that most students were going to do evening wear which turned out to be true. I can remember popping Vivarin (I'm not endorsing) and staying up 48 hours straight just to make sure that my senior line was complete, sewing til the very last moment just before showtime.

I came up a little short on my portfolio review. My book was about 90% complete or so. Our guest speaker for our fashion show was Dana Buchman and she did our portfolio review as well. I don't remember her exact comments on my book. It was average and favorable though. I do remember sitting there with a silly nervous smile on my face when I could have been more proactive.

Here's the tip for you!
*While you're sitting there having your book reviewed as the guest designer thumbs through in a matter of seconds, pop in a question like:
-What's it like working as an assistant designer in your company?
-Can I contact your HR to see if there are any openings?
Too many questions would be a distraction but, one good one could lead to unexpected opportunities.

*It's always good to send a thank you note in the mail after your review. It shows that you really appreciated their time.

Enjoy these last few weeks of your senior year and try not to pull all of your hair out!

How did your portfolio review or senior project go? Post it here. We'd love to know!

Much Success!

No comments: